Thursday, December 20, 2007

Uncomfortable Church (continued)

A few weeks before the meeting one young man wrote a message for our church newsletter urging us to take the vote and to vote to become a RC. I agreed with his article and felt he was right, but I still worried about the process and that it was important to go through it. Becoming a Reconciling Congregation is a commitment and a big one - churches that become a RC are supposed to have ongoing visibility in the community that they are a Reconciling Congregation. It isn't just something that a church puts in the newsletter.
At the meeting several people who seemed anti got up and spoke, but there wasn't a huge amount of discussion. A few people who think that education and process is important got up and spoke (including me). I was torn, as I did want the vote and I wanted to vote for it, but ultimately I voted to table. It felt uncomfortable, but I felt okay about how it went and the outcome.
Then the next day I found out that the young man, who wrote the article for the newsletter, and his family are leaving the church. I also found out that other younger people were very upset. And, I did notice at the vote that some that I knew were for becoming a RC voted against tabling. I had been so focused on those against that I didn't think as much about many people being for - even though I did have a feeling that if a vote was taken it might be supportive, but then we wouldn't have gone through the process! (my thought)
Oh, uncomfortable church - sometimes one thinks it is uncomfortable one way, when it turns out it is uncomfortable the other way. Maybe I should have had more faith that we could have taken the vote, passed it and then been equal to and up to what becoming a Reconciling Congregation means.... Maybe, I was too worried about trying to not get too many people upset and I contributed to upsetting the people I stand with...
Once again I am uncomfortable - I am trying to learn from it, grow from it and struggle through it.

No comments: