Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Brownie Story - with a strange ending

Sunday afternoon I decided I would make some brownies. My husband, Larry, loves anything I make (even canned soup), but I thought I would make him a nice treat (and me too). I did use a mix, but I doctored it up to make it more fancy and yummy. I put in chocolate bits (always a good choice) and made a cream cheese mixture to make them into special cream cheese brownies. I used to make these all the time when I worked in a gourmet cooking store where we sold them individually, but I digress.

They smelled great in the oven cooking. Larry was doing his Sunday afternoon Suduko puzzle, so after they were done and had cooled some I asked him if he would like a small piece. Stupid question - so we both had one. I noticed my piece tasted kind of funny, but I didn't say anything and thought, maybe it is because they are still pretty warm..... Larry scoffed his down and went back to his puzzle.

After dinner that night I again said - want a brownie? I had put them in the refrigerator since they had the cream cheese on them. I got them out and gave us both generous pieces. Larry ate his down and I slowly took a bite and then asked - "do you think the brownies taste okay??" Larry hesitated (as I said, he loves everything I cook him) and then said - "well they kind of taste like fish!" It took me two seconds to spit out my piece rush to the refrigerator and throw the contents of the pan in the trash. Larry hollered - "no, don't, I'll eat them...." To which I responded - "you are not going to eat brownies that taste like fish!" Yuck.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why, why....? I used a Pillsbury mix (milk chocolate) and all my ingredients were fresh and I went back and smelled everything. The oven had not been used to cook fish for months and the pan I used had never been used for fish. I can't imagine that it was the mix.....There is no explanation.

I talked to my sister, Diana, today and she made clam chowder on Sunday (the same day as brownie day). She used all fresh good ingredients and canned clams, but when Roger took one taste he said - "if we eat any more of this we will get very sick." The clams had a very strong bitter taste. I guess it wasn't the day to cook for me or my sister. Tonight Larry and I had Keebler (elf) cookies for dessert - safer that way, I think.

No comments: