Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chipped Blue

Making a cup of tea the other day I chipped my lovely blue tea caddy. It is a rich dark blue with lighter blue swirled through. I am inordinately partial to blue dishes. I bought it at Pier 1 and they don't sell them anymore.

I was angry with myself, but found the little blue chip that had left a white spot where the blue should be. I got out the Elmer's glue and was able to adhere the piece, so it didn't look too bad. My first thought, though, was that I should not have been using it every day. I should have had it up in the cupboard where this couldn't have happened.

I am apt to think like that, to not want to use nice things - to keep them put away safe, unused. I am trying hard not to be like that anymore. I have many nice things and I am trying to use them - not save them. You hear all the time about people who die and when the families go through their belongings they find all kinds of nice things packed away - with the tags still attached.

I remember years ago I bought a beautiful Icelandic sweater jacket that I bought at LL Beans. I loved that sweater and paid quite a bit for it. I wore it to a school function and got several compliments. I never wore it again - saving it for something special. A number of years later I decided I needed to get that out and start wearing it (it was old now, so okay to wear every day). I got it out and when I looked closely I saw many many little holes. The moths had gotten to it before me! I wish I could say "lesson learned", but I still have to fight that way of thinking.

After I chipped my lovely blue tea caddy I felt it was spoiled, not the same anymore. But, it is still beautiful, the blue is still rich and dark, it still feels smooth in my hands when I open it to get out the tea. I guess it is like me, a little worse for wear, but it is out there and being used and enjoyed. Got to remember that....

1 comment:

feminist_mom said...

go liz.......use the cup and let it chip.... i have some of my childhood lu ray dishes and they have chips but we love using them for everyday just like they were when i was a kid.... and that is why i love them..... they were the everyday things.... and i have a wool sweater with holes from moths too.... i might try stitching the holes shut and putting buttons on them or it might be my last fancy wool sweater...or i need to find some moth balls or substitute....enjoy that blue set, maureen