Wednesday, January 30, 2008

This blogging thing

I am new to blogging, but I am really liking it. I am really liking reading other people's blogs - it is getting bad. I am getting addicted. I check in every day and I haven't written on my own blog because of it. I think it is easier to read other blogs than write my own - want to do better in that department. The first blog I check everyday is my daughter's (the most important blog), then I am off and running. I am rather a lurker, because I don't comment much. I am just getting my feet wet.

I have quite few blogs with which I am trying to keep up. Some of them don't write everyday, so that helps with my computer time. But, the other day I discovered a young woman's blog that has me reading every day and each day I am also reading a months worth of previous blogs - so I can get caught up on her life and how things happened in the painful journey she is on.

I am drawn to her, because first she is a good writer and I like her style (in writing and in life) and she is going through a separation and a divorce. It is happening very publicly for her - she is a pastor and her husband has left her for another woman. He also had an emotional affair with a woman of her congregation - how sucky is that?

She is much younger than me and she has a small child, but I went through something similar (public, in a religious setting, but on a smaller scale). Mine painful time/divorce happened after 32 years of marriage (over five years ago). But, how she writes about it speaks to me and touches me. And, I admire her spunk in the face of it all. On top of all the reading I am doing of her blog I am also reading a lot of the comments - so, you can see why it is taking up quite a bit of time. I love how supportive her blogger friends are - they are pretty spunky too! The support and strength from blogging friends is awesome.

I think I am going to have to stop looking for new blogs to read - it could take up my whole day, and here I was wondering why I had a headache last night - duh! The thing is though, I had hoped to find some women about my age, but I am reading women pastors' blogs and I am a laywoman - not that I think they would have a problem with that and my daughter is a UMC pastor (and I am a PK). But, this group is just too interesting to change over to another....

Things to do:
1. Write in my blog more
2. Stop lurking around quite so much
3. Comment more - maybe make a new friend
4. Housework......nah!!

3 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Hey, thanks for visiting and for praying. Yep, this blog thing can be addictive. I seriously could spend all day every day reading interesting blogs...what to do?

feminist_mom said...

how do you look for other blogs? i don't know.. i only do ones off other peoples sites..... or like commondreams.org etc. talk soon, maureen

Ruth said...

I followed you from your comment at WillSmama, read this history. I agree that blogging can be addictive, and strangely supportive. Strange because it's semi-anonymous. But having been a pastor in a rural area, I fully appreciate how being "known" is not about being seen with the eyes. Rambling here, but I bet you understand.