Thursday, January 31, 2008

Texas Bunny and Flower

Have you seen the video of one very brave rabbit? We got it yesterday and I just love it. It begins with a very large snake laying (do snakes lie or lay - lay I think) in the grass. Along comes Texas Bunny she hops over to check out said snake. Mr. Snake rears up and tries to strike. TB jumps up, a spectacular gymnastic hop - this happens about three times.

TB then realizes it might be wise to go to the other end and check things out. So, she hops over to Mr. Snake's tail and gives a few nips. Mr. Snake isn't wild about this, so he starts wriggling off across the grass. TB thinks, hey. I can get rid of this guy so she follows nipping all the way.

Mr. Snake wriggles faster and faster toward a large pine tree and tries to go up into its branches, but TB has other plans. She races over and continues to bite and pull at Mr. Snake. He struggles hard and finally makes his way up into the branches. TB, her work done, hops happily away. How do I know that TB is a female - only a female would have the tenacity and perserverance to work on that snake until she got him where she wanted him.

Lying in bed last night (yes, I am pretty sure we lie) I got thinking about Flower - the resilent, brave leader of the Whiskers group of Meerkats on Meerkat Manor (the TV series). She lead her little (and then quite big) group of Meerkats through all kinds of troubles. She was strong, fearless, committed and loyal (yes, I know she did cheat on Aphod - hope I got his name right - at least once, but....). The episode when she was killed by that snake, after going into the burrow to make it safe for her pups and the others, was heartbreaking. I was sobbing. I don't read People magazine very often, but I did see they put in her obituary (well done), she deserved it. We need leaders like Flower - she knew what needed to be done and she did it. Am I a leader like Flower? Do I stick by my convictions? Am I willing to go into the burrow when there is danger there? Maybe sometimes, and then other times, not so much. I need to look to Flower. And, look to the Bunny!

1 comment:

feminist_mom said...

go liz...... you are a flower in my book and a TB..... thanks for coming to NE, love and peace, maureen