Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Love, love, love, Harrie

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a letter my Mom, Harriet, had sent her mother-in-law over thirty years ago. My friend was cleaning out her MIL's house (after her death) and found it. It was written when my Mom was 57 and had a broken leg. Mom broke her leg on Palm Sunday night after attending a church service (my Dad was the UMC pastor at a small country church). Hannah, her friend and my friend's MIL, had dropped her off (Dad stayed at church to finish up a few things) and Mom fell when she was running toward home in the dark down a dirt road full of frozen ruts.

Mom was in a cast for about eight weeks and Hannah came over to visit and brought food. I was pregnant with my daughter, Sweet Spirit, at the time. The note Mom sent Hannah was to thank her for being such a good friend. They were friends for over fifty years. Mom died three years ago at the age of 87. She signed off her note to Hannah - love, love, love, Harrie. I miss Mom.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet story!

LadyBurg said...

What a great way to sign a letter. Sounds like your mom was pretty cool.

NE/ME said...

My Mom was Way Cool!! Thanks